Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My name is Ashley Taylor, and I use the television to baby-sit my kids.

I would love to say that my entire day is spent creating meaningful learning experiences for my kids, but I can't. Don't get me wrong, we do things together, but sometimes -- okay, more than sometimes -- the television is my best friend. When Halle was little, she loved Dora, and I'm proud to say that Dora taught her shapes and colors (and even a few Spanish words), by the time she turned two.

Chase, however, has become hooked to another show. He loves Curious George. Like, he really loves it. We currently have 53 episodes saved on our DVR. And, frankly, I love that he loves it, because it gives me a half hour of peace every once in a while. Since Chase is incredibly exhausting, the small moments of peace is the only thing keeping me sane! The only problem is, George is a monkey, and he doesn't talk (only monkey talk). So, Chase has adopted monkey talk as his #1 language. He "oo oos" and "ah ahs" all the time, but we can't get him to talk. He knows a few words, but mostly he just speaks and acts like a monkey. We've tried to show him other cartoons, like Dora, but he hates them. He throws a fit until we turn on Curious George. So, we do.

My son is 19 months old, and he thinks he's a monkey. And, for now, that's all right with me.

4 comments:

Adam and Dev said...

This post is funny! I think every parent does this at some point(use tv to entertain- I know we have with nieces and nephews)...but some are afraid to admit it ;)

Rhi said...

Oh I SOOOO do it too!

Dawn Rae said...

lol, That title alone is great! Everyone does it, and it is amazing how early the learn to operate the remote and dvr!

Shanell said...

Oh my gosh I wish we lived closer! We have so much in common. I'm glad to hear my son isn't the only one that is out of control and still doesn't talk! Ha Ha...oh yes, and I also use TV as a babysitter!